Re: [dev] Not Using a Window Manager?

From: Steve Ryan <gentleman.ryan_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:22:50 -0500

On 02/26/2011 11:10 AM, Patrick Haller wrote:

> unmapped windows =>
> xdotool search stupid_window windowmap
>
> mapped not viewable =>
> xdotool search stupid_window windowmove 0 0
>
> I keep a stack of unmapped windows (especially for surf, which i open unmapped),
> managed via the script below.
>

> Patrick
>

> #!/bin/bash
> dir="${HOME}/.wm-banished"
> [[ ! -d $dir ]]&& mkdir -p $dir
>
> [[ "$1" = "push" ]]&& {
> # no window manager = we don't know what's focus'd, use getmouselocation or selectwindow
> w_id=$(xdotool selectwindow )
> xdotool windowunmap $w_id
> touch "${dir}/${w_id}"
> exit
> }
>
> w_id=$( ls -tr $dir | tail -1)
> [[ "$w_id" = "" ]]&& {
> echo -e "\n Bad news... \n no souls remain banished \n" | xmessage -file -
> exit
> }
> xdotool windowmap $w_id
> rm -f "${dir}/${w_id}"

     This is very cool, however I have one question. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but you're replacing window-manager functionality with various
small scripts and built-in X tools, right? So wouldn't you just be
creating a (very minimalist) window manager out of those tools? I
haven't actually used them yet so please feel free to correct/scold/yell
at/damn me if I'm wrong.

-Steve