Re: [dev] Unix philosophy window manager

From: Patrick Haller <201009-suckless_AT_haller.ws>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:23:27 +0800

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:30:26AM +0100, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:

> To make it work smoothly, 1 such program needs a SubstructureRedirectMask.
> Technically, IMHO, that 1 program _is_ the window manager.
>
> I think the subject of the thread was a bit misleading.

Perhaps. With X11 and no window manager, the top-most window under the
pointer receives Key* events. By tying XCirculateSubwindows to
XSetInputFocus'ing back to the root window, we can get around clients
that focus themselves.

However, that provides a certainly limited Focus / Stack setup ;)

Patrick