Re: [dev] dwm: monocle view

From: Niki Yoshiuchi <aplusbi_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:04:41 -0500

I am unfortunately on a Windows machine right now (at work) but if I
understand you correctly, this is by design.

alt+j/k moves the focus. Think about what happens when you hit
alt+j/k in tile mode to set the focus on a window in the stack. If
you then launch a new window, the new window becomes the master and
the window that was the master, *not* the window with focus, moves to
the top of the stack (the "previous window" as you put it).

When you are in monocle mode, alt+j/k does the same thing as in tile
mode. It changes focus only. The window you are looking at in
monocle mode isn't necessarily the master.

The reason for this is that the windows (called Clients, by the way),
are stored in a linked list. The head of the list is the master.
When you open a new Client, it gets pushed to the front of the list.
What you are suggesting is to either push the new Client to location
in the list that currently has focus, or to move the Client that has
focus to the front, then add the new Client in front of that. While
this is a pretty simple change, it doesn't belong in dwm (though as a
patch it would be fine), the reason being that the behavior of all the
commands are independent of what mode you are in, and should remain
that way. What you are suggesting is adding special rules to one
mode.

-Niki Yoshiuchi