[dev] fast-booting to text editor

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:21:54 +0000

Hi, one of those general suckless software questions:

I'm in a position where I'll be both commuting a lot and needing to
write a lot of text (review coments) over the coming months. I've got
a "spare" old but very small, low weight notebook PC I plan to try and
use. The only requirements I have are that there be a decent text
editor, a filesystem that can hold several files and the ability to
move files onto/off-of my permanent full-capacity PC. (I'd actually
prefer not to have any other facilities.)

The obvious thing to do would be to install a standard linux distro,
try and remove as many uneeded services and then just keep hibernating
it. However, my experience is that linux is not particuarly snappy
booting from a hibernate image, partly because there's so many
programs that want to be paged back in and partly because it needs to
still slowly start up any hardware it can find on the machine.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas/experience of any more
minimal solution, or if I should just go with the original plan.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com