Re: [dev] fast-booting to text editor

From: Thomas Spurden <thomas_AT_ado.is-a-geek.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:57:01 +0000

On 20/03/11 18:21, David Tweed wrote:
> Hi, one of those general suckless software questions:
>
> I'm in a position where I'll be both commuting a lot and needing to
> write a lot of text (review coments) over the coming months. I've got
> a "spare" old but very small, low weight notebook PC I plan to try and
> use. The only requirements I have are that there be a decent text
> editor, a filesystem that can hold several files and the ability to
> move files onto/off-of my permanent full-capacity PC. (I'd actually
> prefer not to have any other facilities.)

I would suggest building yourself a cross-toolchain (is your target is a
different arch). Then build a kernel with suspend support and whatever
else you need (framebuffer console?). Then a static busybox and vim (or
whatever editor you prefer). Throw said kernel/binaries on a partition
and create a link called linuxrc to your favorite text editor (assuming
you can run commands from your text editor - exiting it will panic the
kernel). I guess you'll also want a swap partition to suspend to. To
suspend echo 'disk' or 'mem' to /sys/power/state. To transfer stuff to
your main machine you could add dropbear (ssh) - assuming you have some
form of networking.

It'll definitely boot/unsuspend faster than ewwbuntwo.

--
Thomas Spurden