[dev] /run coming to a linux distribution near you

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:30:40 +0100

https://lwn.net/Articles/436012/?format=printable

Lennart Poettering is planning to introduce a new toplevel
directory, /run, moving /var/run to it, and /var/lock to
/run/lock

His reasons mostly seem sensible; as /var/run may not be
available early in the boot process, people have been doing
ghastly things like keeping state in /dev

The issue is whether anything needed for boot really ought
to be writing state anywhere; I can't think of a good reason
for this, but maybe I'm just ignorant.

But to me /var/run & /var/lock never sat well anyway, so it
seems like less of a bad idea than I had expected from
Lennart.

Am I wrong? Lots of the people around here understand Unix
quite deeply... Does Plan9 split parts of /var off like this?

Nick