Re: [dev] [st] 0.1 Feedback - Was: A few small patches

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:02:10 -0400

On 4/4/11, Peter John Hartman wrote:
> If you use tmux, you don't need either a urlLauncher function built into
> your xvt nor mouse cut-n-paste built into it. Just use their internal
> buffers, on the one hand, and bind a key to urlview or whatever to get
> the other functionality.

This is useless when tmux is on a remote host.

> Of course, if you don't use tmux (and yet, somehow, still use xvt), I'm not
> sure what you are doing. Hence, I'd say keep st simple: no mouse
> cut-n-paste and no bells and whistles.

I let a window manager manage windows. I don't do it myself -- unless
I'm logged into a remote host, in which case I run tmux to manage the
remote terminal windows.

If you're writing an x11 terminal program, and you don't intend to
implement select and paste, you can save yourself some time and go
home now, because that is dumb. I can almost -- not quite, but
almost, see leaving out paste, but if I can't select text conveniently
with this terminal to paste elsewhere then I might as well kill x, not
use st, and fire up gpm on the console.

I don't care about urlview at all; once you've selected the text of
the url, you can just middlemouse paste into firefox or opera and it
will load it. Or you can bind a key to load surf or links with it.
urlview is a solved problem -- as long as you can select text from the
damn terminal!

If middlemouse paste sucks on your hardware, buy new hardware. I'm in
no hurry to change an efficient paradigm because someone got cheap
buying a mouse. (Looking at you here, Ethan!)

--
# Kurt H Maier