Re: [dev] sbase

From: Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 05:37:52 +0200

If you want to replace stuff in a standard distribution with something
else I guess it should have the same features as the thing you are
replacing (except for the redundant and/or un-needed ones)

For fun, I have been trying to replace GNU with

Busybox: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Base2busybox

Heirloom: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Base2heirloom

Plan9port: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Base2plan9

in Arch. Stuff work surprisingly well when central parts of the OS:s
innards are ripped out and replaced by something that looks similar
(do not try on production systems though!). Unfortunately, some stuff
are not found in Heirloom and Plan9port which means that one needs to
fall back to Busybox in order to have a drop-in replacement of GNU
coreutils.

A possible foundation for sbase would be Goblin - a *nix/9base written in Go
(git://github.com/jdparent/goblin.git)

Another possiblility that I do not know if it really is possible would
be native compilation of Inferno. There is an experimental limbo
compiler for posix systems:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/acheron-l/
I have not tried it so I do not know how well it works.

An extension of the scope of this one to cover the needed parts to
replace GNU coreutils et al would be cool (one thing currently
lacking: chroot)