Re: [dev] Sandy editor

From: Rafa Garcia Gallego <rafael.garcia.gallego_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 00:26:46 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> I've just got around to properly trying sandy. I'm not a fan of the
> curses approach, but I'm otherwise quite impressed. (I've not read the
> code yet, but the editor itself has a nice feel to it.)

Yeah. Ncurses is really the lesser evil. Thanks for your support!

> On 31 May 2011 17:51, Rafa Garcia Gallego
> <rafael.garcia.gallego_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> - ^U works as it should.
>> - ^C kills the next word (former META-D). Sorry, I seem to use this one a lot.
>> - ^K, ^W, ^H and ^D complete your killing family as usual. I don't
>> know how much you guys use these.
>
> I use C-u, C-k and C-w constantly. I've also found myself longing for C-c.

Those are pretty standard and IMO should remain there if possible.

>> - ^X saves or quits, ^Q quits without asking (!!)
>
> imo C-q should say "unsaved changes!" and a second C-q should quit
> regardless, ed-style. This way, C-q C-q can be a quick-quit.

Sure, we'll get there.

>> - Sadly, there is no easy way to move word-by-word
>
> Can curses handle C-Left and C-Right?

Not per-se. Urxvt reports the up arrow wit no mod, shift, control as
^[[A , ^[[a and ^[Oa respectively, but Ncurses only collects KEY_LEFT
and KEY_SLEFT.

I now see that xterm reports the modifiers in a different way and st
does not report control at all, which is probably healthy if there is
no standard way of doing so.

>> - Sadly, there is no immediate way to copy to the clipboard: it is
>> either cut and paste (e.g. ^W^Y) or move your hand and press INS.
>
> Could 'go-to-line' be rebound to C-: or so, and C-t be 'copy'?
> Rationale: sam's copy command is 't'.

Again, the problem is C-: does not really report anything but ':'.
I'll try to find an alternative, but I had not thought of ^T for copy.

>> As I already said, I have mixed feelings about modality. In case we go
>> modal, we'd probably use something akin to vi's command mode bindings
>> I guess. Let's hear some opinions before acting.
>
> Don't Mode Me In.
>
> Seriously, if you want Vi, use Vi. (I do, but hope to change that.)

Yeah, actually that's pretty much why I started sandy.

>> He reached to me this morning, ought to have the repo in place tonight.
>
> Yep, it's there. What's your opinion on commits, btw? Are you happy
> with others committing, or do you want us to talk to you instead?

I'm happy with others commiting reasonable stuff as long as it does
not clutter the source much, etc, etc

> Related: you need the CPPFLAGS -D_BSD_SOURCE and -D_POSIX_SOURCE, for
> {set,get}env and kill, respectively.

Added that, thanks!

By the way, the mercurial repo for sandy is now at
http://hg.suckless.org/sandy/ , go clone it, play with it, commit
interesting changes!

Regards,
Rafa.