Re: [dev] Sandy editor

From: Rafa Garcia Gallego <rafael.garcia.gallego_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 12:49:51 +0200

Hi,

I've pushed a couple of changes: the control-only keymap is now the
default (the former one is there as config.old.h, but should be
removed soon unless someone reports using and preferring it), Ctrl-Q
warns before quitting, Ctrl-t copies and the prompt commands are a bit
more vi-like now ('/' and '?' search, '|' pipes, 'w' saves....) for
convenience and speed since some actions as changing syntax or saving
with a different filename, etc., did not find their own keybinding.
Please test and comment.

Back to the modal/non-modal conundrum:

- Most "normal" editors *do* have a slight modality (e.g. replace
instead of insert, etc). Sandy does have a different behavior when
selecting text vs. when moving, but it is bearable and IMHO it does no
lead to confussion. Some questions: do we want to avoid modes as much
as possible? even if that means losing some "power-user"
functionality?

- Vi OTOH *does* have keybinding chains / compound commands (try
typing a simple text in English, then do "d2Fe" in command mode and
think what went on there), though I think we can all agree their
damage is lesser than in emacs. Some more questions: do we want to
avoid prefixes and modifiers as much as possible? even if this means
having to repeat a keybinding a couple of times?

If the answer to all these questions is 'yes', then we will probably
end up with a quite simple, suckless editor. As long as it lets me
select text using a regex and then filter the selection trough an
arbitrary command, it ought to be enough for me. At least in theory.

Answering direct questions: accepting a number modifier to commands
seems cool and simple enough and I do use it a lot in vim. I was
trying to avoid it for simplicity's sake, but if you lot feel it is
necessary, then we can go ahead and add it. Let me know what you
think.

BR,
Rafa.