Re: [dev] [st] alternate screen switching

From: Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:53:22 +0200

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Bert Münnich <ber.t_AT_gmx.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> attached is a patch, that adds support for the deprecated '\E[?47h' and
> '\E[?47l' control sequences, which are used when $TERM == "xterm-color".
>
> I've also added {rm,sm}cup entries to st.info, so that switching between
> normal and alternate screen now works when $TERM == "st[-256color]".

Thanks.
What's the difference between 1047 and 47? st now use the same code
for both, but it can be changed.

> I would also like to look into the scrollback buffer goal. How do you
> want to achieve an unlimited scrollback buffer? Writing every line to a
> file and printing its content instead of the current buffer when
> scrolling back? What are the cons to just having a fixed amount of lines
> (simply a bigger Line *line), memmoving them when input arrives and
> normally displaying only the row-1 last ones?

It could be done that way, yes.
Personally, I don't need the scollback buffer but from what I've
gathered there are more people who want it than people who don't.
It's even written here http://st.suckless.org/goals
It would be great if st could "export" an interface to it so things
like URL selecting/launching in browser could be done via scripts.
Something like a plan9 file hierarchy. I would like to hear someone
else thoughts about that.