Re: [dev] ideas on suckless file manager

From: Nicolai Waniek <rochus_AT_rochus.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:53:32 +0200

On 06/07/2011 07:09 PM, pancake wrote:
> Its anti natural.

It's not.

Because I asked myself which is the best working environment regarding
ones eyes some time ago, I looked around for some scientific research on
the topic of black-background vs white background.

There's not that much research to be cited (and to be honest, after
reading the papers I removed them) but the overall conclusion is that
most probants had a higher reading speed and slightly less reading
errors with black text on white background. Nevertheless, the
differences are very small.

In the end it comes down to personal preference.

Additionally, I looked around for some research regarding eye health
w.r.t. black- vs white-background because one common 'understanding'
seems to be that your eyes will be treated more friendly with a black
background. Again, none of the research papers I read (origin from about
1970 - 2008 or so, when I have some time and the will to I'll search the
papers) came to the conclusion that this is true. Quite the opposite,
that they could not detect any difference.
The only clear direction stated was that when you have to work with a
monitor and feel that your eyes are tiring, you should probably go to an
optician as you might have a minor amblyopia (+.25, -.25 something like
that) and proper way to work against it is to try eyeglasses.

regards