Re: [dev] [dwm] zoom() monocle

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:15:51 -0400

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> Problem is, you can't use Alt-Tab in this situation, if the two
> windows are not adjacent to one another.

It sounds to me like you can do this exactly with Alt+Tab, by
assigning the two windows you want to two tags and the nusing Alt+Tab
to alternate between them.

> Sure, you could set up a special tag and toggle clients into and out
> of it, but why not do that for every layout?

Because this is only a problem in monocle mode. It sounds very much
like tags are the answer here, and they're not being used properly to
solve this problem. Instead of doing strange things with zoom() in
one specific layout, there should be a tag (𐡀) on window 1 and a tag
on window 4. If they both have the same tag, a second tag (𐡁) should
be assigned to window 4. You then view tag 𐡀, followed by tag 𐡁,
and then Alt+Tab will allow you to switch back and forth between them.

I have a strong suspicion that tags are currently being used as
workspaces in this thread, and I will warn you all that I have the van
dispatch number saved in my cell phone. Modifying the layout is
perilous, because it implies you're setting up some kind of state
machine for your window arrangement, which is not appropriate for a
dynamic window manager. It should be irrelevent how your windows are
laid out (or in what order they are stacked) since you should be
assigning tags to make access easier.

--
# Kurt H Maier