Re: [dev] does anyone else think that suckless.org is more about bare-bones minimalism than unix philosophy

From: Troels Henriksen <athas_AT_sigkill.dk>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:49:15 +0200

Andreas Wagner <andreasbwagner_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> Most people here seem more concerned with and interested in radical
> minimalism than modularity. Don't get me wrong, I think suckless
> software is on many points in the spirit of the unix philosophy. I
> just think the principles of composition and as a result modularity
> and separation are being neglected.

This is true, but http://suckless.org/manifest/ only mentions Unix
philosophy a single time, and not as the centerpiece of the manifest, so
I don't think this is a great revelation. It happens that many
principles of Unix philosophy lend themselves well to simplicity and
frugality, but there are also some (such as file system interfaces and
extreme interpretations of the tool philosophy) that create a degree of
complexity. Whether or not you believe this complexity to be worthwhile
(I do) is a question of taste, but most people of Suckless seem to take
the frugal road.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen