Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:16:00 +0100

On 17 June 2011 10:07, markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de> wrote:
> I disagree with this analogy. Shift is no quasimode.

Yes it is.

> Likewise you enter ex mode (i.e. last-line
> mode), which you consider a quasimode

No, you misunderstand completely: I don't consider ex mode `quasi'.
What I said was that in my editor `command mode' is activated simply
by switching to a different window, and typing into that, in exactly
the same way as you were typing into the original window, except this
is a *different* window. Understand?

> If you wanna know where you are: Hit Escape!

I use vi all the time, and it is useful, but I want to make something
better. Telling me to constantly hit escape is not a good way to
convince me that I shouldn't. So you like vi? That's lovely. I really
hope this doesn't deteriorate into an argument about everyone's
favourite editor, that would be terribly boring.

Aside from the trolls,

I'm writing a simple UI abstraction library, sort of like swk meets
draw.c, in that it's completely platform-agnostic (so we can port it
to other things than Xlib), but doesn't use widgets, you just draw
things. This has the benefit of encapsulating all the complicated
stuff you need to with Xlib into a single place, which means the
editor proper can remain nice and clean. This, as well as the UTF-8
library, might be useful in other projects as well. I'll try to keep
them independent.

On 15 June 2011 14:01, David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a long comment queued up (restricted internet situation at
> work)

I'm looking forward to this. Still. ;)

cls