Re: [dev] [dwm] sloppy focus

From: Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless_AT_benizi.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:00:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Christoph Lohmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
>> In other wm's, #2 is often handled by having a little flashing
>> systray icon.
>> So, broadening: what (if anything) do dwm users use for
>> "notifications" or indicating urgency?
>
> my IRC client is sending a bell character to my terminal, which is
> setting the urgent bit on that window. The urgent bit tells dwm to
> highlight that tag in the statusbar.
>
> Just set in your X resources:
>
> xterm.bellIsUrgent: true
>
> or
>
> urxvt.urgentOnBell: true
>
> , depending on your favourite X terminal emulator. Reload the X
> resourced and start one terminal emulator using them. Then run
>
> % echo -e '\a';
>
> in an unattended tag and watch the result.

Ah, thanks. Halfway there. So, that's roughly what I was looking for,
but it's not very noticeable. Does anyone have a 'dwm-urgent-blink'
patch? The one I found¹ didn't work (makes dwm unresponsive to input
after something gets the urgent bit set, and I don't know enough about
pthreads to know what's going wrong).

--
Best,
Ben