Re: [dev] [dwm] [patch] USPosition, USSize

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 23:37:55 -0400

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> Basically these two fields state that the client's geometry has been
> chosen specifically by the user, and the window manager ought to
> respect that. But we don't, we just tile the window anyway. The
> traditional X utilities all set this field when the user passes them
> the '-geom' (or similar) flag, including xterm, rxvt, and so on.

This might be the historical reason these exist, but they were
conceived before the advent of modern tiling window managers, and imo
clients shouldn't be managing themselves anyway. Further, there's no
telling what kind of weird-ass program might be abusing these without
anyone as yet knowing. Please don't merge this patch into mainline;
I'd like xterm et al to behave just they way they have been.

--
# Kurt H Maier