Re: [dev] [dwm] [patch] USPosition, USSize

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:37:53 +0100

Hey,

On 9 August 2011 04:37, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> This might be the historical reason these exist, but they were
> conceived before the advent of modern tiling window managers, and imo
> clients shouldn't be managing themselves anyway.

I think the window manager should do whatever the user asks. Assuming
the hint isn't abused by broken clients (I guess that may be quite an
assumption), I think it ought to be respected. Someone on IRC said
they use -geom and have to special-case every program for it.

On 9 August 2011 14:18, Bryan Bennett <bbenne10_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> confusing users by breaking the
> consistency of how DWM handles windows (tiles them always).

It doesn't tile them always. Transient clients are floated, always.
That's just a WM_TRANSIENT_FOR hint, which of course can be a lie, etc
etc.

Ultimately I think it's a subjective thing, which is annoying. I'm
fairly ambivalent -- though I think it's useful to support hints like
this, the user experience trumps all. (Didn't you hear UX is the 'in
thing'?) So I'll leave this patch here and if Anselm wants to honour
the hint it in he can merge it. If not, people who want the
functionality can patch it in themselves.

I've finished looking through about a third of the EWMH standard, and
some of these hints are just plain ridiculous. I've found a couple of
bugs we ought to fix, which I'll post later, but I think the majority
of these we're justified in ignoring.

Thanks,
cls