Re: [dev] A dmenu that includes all additional features

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:09:41 +0200

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:09:45 -0400
Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a lazy list reader, but aren't all of those already in dmenu
> tip? Can't you list the features that *aren't* in "dmenu as we know
> it"?

not included:
* multi select, but the argument of Hiro (that this is not really needed) makes sense, so you can ignore this one.
* stable sort. @CLS why I want this: say, for an application launcher, if I provide input to dmenu ordered by frequency, that means commands at the top are more important then those that come after. (where important means: is more likely to be the option the user is looking for)
When using the dmenu-based application launcher, I will use whatever string that comes up in my mind that matches the command (somewhere), and type that into dmenu.
it sometimes happens the string I input happens to be at the beginning of a command I never use, and dmenu will consider that a better match and put it at the top, which is inconvenient.
* pasting from clipboard.
* token matching

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:21:24 +0100
Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:

> 1. "XMMS-style" token matching
> 2. "Stable sort"
> 3. Multi-select
>
> 1 and 3 are both available as patches [1][2]. 2 strikes me as
> pointless. I'm not sure where we're going with this. Are you using a
> really old version of dmenu?
>
> [1]:
> http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/patches/xmms-like_pattern_matching
> [2]: http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/patches/multiselect_and_newline

The patches you link to are written for old dmenu versions.
Like I said, there currently is no single version of dmenu that supports all these things at once, that's my problem.
I want one version that supports all of the options (minus multi-select, Hiro is right it's not needed)

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 00:47:54 +0200
hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:

> what the fuck is multi select, token matching and best match?

multi select => allow outputing multiple choices from the menu before exiting.
token matching => matches all tokens separately, i.e. "aw bar" will match "this bar is awesome"
best match => this is default dmenu behavior. if you run this:
echo -e 'ab\nb\na' | dmenu, and type 'b', then it will first show option 'b' and then 'ab', even though 'ab' was first in the input and also matches the given input.
this can be useful in some cases, but in others it gets in the way (like the application launcher example I gave above).

Dieter