Re: [dev] Make dmenu sensitive to user aliases ("Hello world")

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 22:52:39 +0100

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:55:56 +0300
"Kiriakos at Kindstudios" <kappa_AT_kindstudios.gr> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using many aliases in my terminal sessions and want to be able to use
> them with dmenu
> (which I use as the default menu in all of my xmonad installations) aswell.
>
> Is that possible? I haven't gotten a real chance to look at the code yet
> (just downloaded it).
> I'm a total noob when it comes to actually modifying C sources so I
> thought that I should
> fire off a request in the offchance somebody has already done that or can
> point in the right
> direction.

I'm using scripts where I once used aliases, mostly because it's far
more convenient to write or alter a script than to update an alias or
function in all my open terminals. These scripts, like aliases, are
only run interactively so there's no slowdown to be seen at all.
Obviously, they'd work natively with dmenu.

On another note entirely, would you mind not wraping your text so wide,
please? My eyes aren't too good so I use larger text, and anything
wrapped over about 75-80 columns double-wraps which is unpleasant to
read. It's not just you, there's quite a few people wrapping their
emails too wide.