Re: [dev] Linux sucks!

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:16:33 +0100

On 28 October 2011 12:46, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> this is the biggest part of why he's an asshole.  if you're not
> willing to learn how to use a computer don't buy a computer.  if your
> biggest complaint about a piece of software is "I can't immediately
> use it" then you are an asshole, full stop.

Plus there's the problem with 'intuitive' systems that once you've
learned one system (Windows), 'intuitive' is now overloaded with the
meaning "like things I already know." Learning how to use computers is
difficult. I for one grew up with Windows, and was taught to use
Office in ICT lessons and so on... Urgh.

(The only truly intuitive interface is a nipple.)

So people look at Linux and say it's unintuitive, etc, but for the
most part it's just unfamiliar. There are certain things which are
certainly more difficult in Linux, but I'd argue package managers, for
instance, are far nicer for novice users. People seem to want Linux to
be identical to Windows, except better. That's just not possible.

Nor is it even desirable. Windows already exists; let's make something
which suits those of us who do not find it easy to use. I certainly
don't, and if every interface were 'intuitive' in the sense that
Windows is, I doubt I'd be able to use a computer as well as I do.

So much for intuition.

cls