Re: [dev] [dwm] 2000 SLOC

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 10:33:31 +0100

On 30 October 2011 08:53, Martin Kopta <martin_AT_kopta.eu> wrote:
> "dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to never
> exceed 2000 SLOC." (http://dwm.suckless.org/)
>
> $ wc < dwm.c
>  2069  6745 52319
> $
>
> First 25 LOC is license and there is some whitespace too, however dwm.c is
> obviously somewhere around 2 kSLOC.

Well, as others put it already, it is around 1800 SLOC currently. And
the current code base contains plenty opportunities to remove a bunch
of features that were added during time. I removed features a couple
of times in the past. We revised the feature set quite often and still
now when deciding the question about nmaster.

Apart from this, the boundary of 2kSLOC was chosen kind of randomly. I
personally feel that an average mind like myself can grasp 2k SLOC
easily and that this is a good strategy to keep the code readable and
maintainable.

Cheers,
Anselm