[dev] Suckless Desktop Environment

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:21:24 +0100

Greetings comrades,

reading [0] got me into thinking, if we need some plain new
terminology to make suckless more usable for the press. Suck-
less by now is just a repository of tools or a philosophy.
This does not sell. Instead a whole environment could be pro-
moted, which is usable across platforms.

This »platform« will take many ideas just from Unix, but
I think that Unix is underrepresented in Linux environments
these days. It has to be relearned.

The idea would be to first have an identity, the »Suckless
Desktop«, which needs a logo, some texts and then links to
the various parts of suckless. This would be the entrypoint
for new users, where they can decide, what to adopt to or
just take everything.

Of course we have huge disparities and holy fights, like how
to edit text or if it is more worthwhile to use a keyboard
or the mouse for watching porn. This could be documented and
shortened to a small »mission statement«.

This will lower the user selection we are used to, but it
gives us an identity, that can be referred to and used for
spreading propaganda / the idea.

And ideas (productive work) on this?

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann