Re: [dev] Suckless Desktop Environment

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:13:40 +0100

On 7 November 2011 20:21, Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
> Greetings comrades,
>
> reading [0] got me into thinking, if we need some plain new
> terminology to make suckless more usable for the press. Suck-
> less by now is just a repository of tools or a philosophy.
> This does not sell. Instead a whole environment could be pro-
> moted, which is usable across platforms.
>
> This »platform« will take many ideas just from Unix, but
> I think that Unix is underrepresented in Linux environments
> these days. It has to be relearned.
>
> The idea would be to first have an identity, the »Suckless
> Desktop«, which needs a logo, some texts and then links to
> the various parts of suckless. This would be the entrypoint
> for new users, where they can decide, what to adopt to or
> just take everything.
>
> Of course we have huge disparities and holy fights, like how
> to edit text or if it is more worthwhile to use a keyboard
> or the mouse for watching porn. This could be documented and
> shortened to a small »mission statement«.
>
> This will lower the user selection we are used to, but it
> gives us an identity, that can be referred to and used for
> spreading propaganda / the idea.
>
> And ideas (productive work) on this?

First of all I need to finish the task of 'sharpening the suckless
philosophy' through removing obsolete/no fitting tools and unnecessary
information. Your proposed idea can be evaluated afterwards, however
I'm a bit sceptic about your proposal as this would presumably grow
this community and let newbies in that aren't our focus. The term
"desktop" or "desktop environment" has also a very bitter taste to
it...

Cheers,
Anselm