Re: [dev] [wmii] widgets with graphics?

From: Florian Limberger <flo_AT_snakeoilproductions.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:27:35 +0100

 Hello,

> The general consensus is that sprinkling icons everywhere actually
> makes the interface far more complicated and distracting, and
> generally quite *bad*. While there *are* some exceptions where icons
> are more compact, they are rare.
>
> Consider the meter widgets people are obsessed with putting on their
> status bars to tell you, say, the quality of your wifi signal. In 12
> horizontal pixels you can very comfortably fit in two digits, which
> would tell you the signal as a percentage. The same number of pixels
> would, as a meter, offer only an tenth of the information, and it
> would be far more difficult to distinguish 80% from 70%. Yes, text is
> quite a concise medium.

 then how do you distinguish the percentage of battery load and the
 percentage of wifi signal strength? Sometimes, I don't care if wifi
 signal quality is exactly 87% or 78%, It would suffice if I knew if it
 is over 25%, 50% or 75% ...
 Plus, I don't have to think about if I'm looking at my battery or my
 wifi status, thats something where pictures are a little bit better.
 If I denote the textual percentage with letters, it would cost me some
 pixels too, so I think thats a rather weak argument.
 But if you are paving the whole UI with icons, it gets confusing, but
 same applies to textual information, if you write a huge string with
 shitloads of information into your status bar, it would be confusing
 too.
 So I think, minimalism is the most important design goal, wether using
 icons or text to display information.
 But for a project like dwm, whose focus lies on a simple
 implementation,
 icons would be simply to complicated to include.

 By the way, I think the "general consensus" applies only to this
 mailing
 list, the rest of the world (sane or not) believes in some usability
 bonus.

 Greetings,

 flo