Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 14:19:00 +0000

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Patrick Haller
<201009-suckless_AT_haller.ws> wrote:
> On 2012-01-01 21:13, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
>> So I considered the trade-offs between SLOC minimalism, project and
>> community activity, and my productivity in DWM vs. WMII and finally
>> decided to switch back to WMII (which I used since six years prior).
>
> How often do people re-evaluate their toolsets?
>
> With my shell, I can examine shell history and do stuff like:
>        cd() {
>                dir="$1"
>                test -f $1 && dir=`dirname $1`
>                builtin cd "$dir" && ls | sed 10q | fmt -w $COLUMNS
>        }
>
> With X11, do we screencast a day's work and watch it in fast-forward?

That's related to one of the reasons I tend to prefer doing stuff on
the command line: we know how to record textual operations and search
them relatively efficiently. On my machine each terminal's history
file is given a unique name and the each command (command, not output)
is stored as a (time, current directory, command) in the file and the
files are stored "forever" (minus a couple of simple space savers like
not storing incredibly frequent commands like pwd, df, ls, etc). Then
months later I can often figure out something that I did from a vague
memory (eg, "I'm sure I had to hack a symlink to a library to make
something work a couple of months ago, which ln -s commands did I
issue around the time my cwd was last trialProgSource?") I don't do it
often, but occasionally it comes up and saves me an hour or two
investigation.

I'm not aware of any way of either storing or, more importantly,
searching a user's interaction with the GUI apps on a computer system.
--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision researcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com