Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 17:50:06 +0000

On 7 January 2012 17:26, Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> That's not enough. I want the output of all commands (messages, documents,
> calculations, notes and error reports) to be stored on increasingly
> mainstream terabyte disks along with enough metadata to uniquely identify
> it. "Modification" is superseding a file with a derivation. Derivatives that
> do not supersede any other file need also be stored, whether they be drafts
> for future supersedes or files on their own.

So long as you have the input state for those commands -- the files
themselves -- why must we log the output for each and every command?
If we know the state of the directory, why log invocations of `ls`? If
we know the state of the file, why log invocations of `sort` (unless
we're writing to a file)? If we maintain complete version history,
such logs are nothing but a waste of space: we may as well just open a
shell viewing the system as it was that day, and `sort` afresh.

cls