Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 13:22:38 -0500

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 05:50:06PM +0000, Connor Lane Smith wrote:
> So long as you have the input state for those commands -- the files
> themselves -- why must we log the output for each and every command?

Error correction.

> If we know the state of the directory, why log invocations of `ls`?

ls could have been highjacked by malicious elements. I want to know if
he called it with a full path or relied on his $PATH. The same
objection applies to sort.

> If we maintain complete version history,
> such logs are nothing but a waste of space:

Or they're a pretty comprehensive auditing tool.

> we may as well just open a
> shell viewing the system as it was that day, and `sort` afresh.

I'm ok with this plan too, for other reasons, but I would prefer a
completely auditable system.