Re: [dev] dwm: bug in fullscreen mode (SDL?)

From: Eckehard Berns <ecki-suckless_AT_ecki.to>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 22:47:18 +0100

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20:43PM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> On 11 January 2012 18:30, Eckehard Berns <ecki-suckless_AT_ecki.to> wrote:
> > Thinking about this, another way to fix this problem would be to
> > change all XRaiseWindow calls in dwm to restacking them just below the
> > bar and never raising the bar. That way dwm would play nicely with other
> > override redirect windows as well. I don't know if that would be worth
> > it.
>
> I need to try this, as this sounds like a sensible way to fix this
> issue. If it does, then I have no objection putting this into mainline
> dwm.

I thought a bit more about this and I don't think the solution is so
easy. I'd assume that you don't want every override redirect window to
be always on top. Also, floating windows are above the bar at the
moment, which is what you would expect IMHO. That means that there is no
suitable window to align the stacking of floating windows to.

And as it seems, the floating WMwindow of SDL is the main problem here.

On a related note, while investigating the SDL-problem further I found a
leak in dwm: updatebars() always creates new barwins. I attached a patch
to skip the creation of a new barwin if the monitor already has one.
This is why I thought the barwin would be raised, but instead a new one
is created (which has the same effect).

What remains is the floating WMwindow which will be raised in restack().
Does anyone remember why the code in lines 1423 and 1424 is neccessary?
Without it the SDL problem doesn't occure on my system any more (without
the need to patch SDL itself). I attached the second patch for anyone
who wants to try this.

--
Eckehard Berns