Re: [dev] Wayland

From: Eckehard Berns <ecki-suckless_AT_ecki.to>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:28:28 +0100

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:02:52AM +0100, ilf wrote:
> "Programming X-Windows is like trying to find the square root of pi
> using Roman numerals" - Anon
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Wayland-Beyond-X-1432046.html?view=print
>
> Has anyone managed to run it yet?
>
> Opinions?

I might be wrong, but my biggest fear is that using Wayland means that
I'm getting the current desktop paradigm shoved down my throat. If I
understand this correctly something like dwm would be implemented in the
compositor (for the window placement) and all clients at the same time
(window decorations--or the lack thereof--are part of each client). It's
not a simple program on the side any more.

My guess is that the Wayland protocol will get bloated pretty quickly
after the first release, since everyone will want their part of X back.
And if it's not part of Wayland there will be more additional standards
on freedektop.org. Heck, the article mentions that currently Wayland
has problems getting popup windows to work because Wayland doesn't
support window positioning by the client! So they're already in the
process of adding standards on top of Wayland.

Again, I am nowhere near well enough informed, so my statements might be
FUD.

--
Eckehard Berns