Re: [dev] C talk

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:11:36 +0100

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 00:06:33 +0100
Florian Limberger wrote:

> I think about giving a short talk about C and why to use it on a small
> student event at my local university this weekend.
> Does anybody have pointers to some stuff like that?

You could start with less technical overview. I used some random
quotes from Games of Thrones to make it more interesting.

> Daenerys Targaryen: He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill the dragon.

I would say that C is hype free. If you're looking for fairy tales and
promises of magical tool to resolve all your issues, C is the wrong
place. Look somewhere else for that.

> Tyrion Lannister: Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget
> what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor,
> and it can never be used to hurt you.

C has own weakness and quirks. Most C programmers are well aware of
that, probably more that users of other languages (and weaknesses that
comes with them).

> Master Luwin: The things you speak of, they've been dead for
> thousands of years.
> Osha: They wasn't dead, old man; they was only sleeping. And they
> ain't sleeping no more.

C was pronounced obsolete and dead through years. I hate statistics
most of the times, but TIOBE [1] and LangPop [2] are suggesting
something completely opposite, when it comes to state of C programming.

> Robert Baratheon: That's all the realm is: backstabbing and
> plotting. Sometimes I don't know what holds it together.

Even if you're using other language and/or hate C, keep in mind that C
is everywhere. Sooner or later you'll find yourself in situation,
where you will need to reuse some C software. In the end C is a glue,
that holds everything together.

> Old Nan: Don't listen to it. Crows are all liars. I know a story
> about a crow.

Just try it yourself and make your own opinion on C.

[1] http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
[2] http://www.langpop.com/