Re: [dev] st utf8 printing

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:49:52 +0200

Greetings.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:33:00 +0200 Joerg Zinke <mail_AT_umaxx.net> wrote:

> Am 14.04.2012 um 17:38 schrieb Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>:
>
> > But that aside, the distinction between TUIs and GUIs is completely
> > artificial. The only difference is that a "TUI" *cannot* display
> > images, even when it might be useful.
>
> I think you are wrong. An example for a TUI with images is w3m com‐
> piled with inline images.

Images in w3m are a huge hack[0]. W3m is spawning an extra process to do
the whole X11 work, where it is simply drawing to the X11 window the
xterm it is running in.

There were proposals[1] to do graphics over ttys, but the web destroyed
them in its advent. Regaining strength in such a technology first needs
a working terminal for them and then applications using these proto‐
cols.

With technical people floating directly into every new Apple gadget such
a dream needs to be implemented in Go, using HTML5 and of course the
first target is iTunes/AppStore compatibility.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://w3m.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/w3m/w3m/w3mimg/
[1] http://home.comcast.net/~johnkwasnik/RIP/rip.html