Re: [dev] [dwm] dynamic environment variables

From: Jan <keks_AT_unstable.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:48:08 +0200

Am 19.05.2012 18:26, schrieb Swiatoslaw Gal:
> I am wondering if it is possible to implement some (synamic) management of
> environment variables, so, for example I could change HTTP_PROXY when I hook my
> laptop in a new place, and all the processes started from now on would respect
> it. I see some problems, it would work if I start my browser via dmenu, but
> not from terminal or tabbed. It seems that one cannot (easily) modify
> /proc/PID/environ. Sucking window managers do that with dbus which is dirty...
>
> Sincerely,
> s.

I was in a similar situation once, don't really remember what it was,
though. What I did in that moment was

gdb -p $(pidof dwm) <<< 'call setenv("HTTP_PROXY","proxyhost:8080")'

(it was urgent)

One might also make dwm read a file/fifo with serialised key/value
environment variable pairs. But, this works, why bother?

jan