Re: [dev] libixp questions

From: Sanel Zukan <sanelz_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:49:46 +0200

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM, hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> why not a cloud service?

The communication will be done between desktop components, so using
cloud here is a bit questionable :) But thanks for proposal.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Ivan Kanakarakis
<ivan.kanak_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> you maybe interested in unixbus

This project looks quite interesting; thanks for suggestion. However,
it heavily relies on inotify, which makes it unsuitable for BSDs,
Solaris and other unix-es. Maybe inotify support can be made optional,
which I will look at.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, related to libixp: I noticed threading support, but can it be
>> made to work asynchronously, e.g. to be integrated with GUI main loop?
>
> It would be possible, but the performance will suffer...
> Which libixp version are you referring to?

Latest I found on suckless.org, 0.5.

I'm working on light desktop environment (http://edeproject.org) which
is powered by FLTK toolkit. Among other reasons I'm ditching DBus
(actually making it optional) is how pthreads are not available on
stock Minix, but as addon library that will pull tons of dependencies.

The whole desktop is made asynchronous, and threading is used only on
single place, when xmlrpc-c library is used to send bug reports (which
is optional feature). Now you see why I'm trying to avoid threading as
possible.

FLTK provides few handy functions to monitor descriptors without
blocking UI and I was thinking how ixp_serverloop() can be updated to
use them. But I'm not sure about the rest of library, like are there leaks,
dropped data, possibility to crash server with malformed content and etc.

Or you have maybe different proposal?

Thanks.
Sanel