Re: [dev] [surf] More convenience

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:22:01 +0100

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 04:29:25PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
>> On my TODO list for surf is to get the downloading right
>
> What are your plans for this? There's a patch on the wiki using
> webkit's built-in download support, but it was decided that wget
> actually tended to work fine. Are there any use-cases where it does
> not, or you think things could be improved?

Some sites check the HTTP referrer or require session cookies to offer
a download. Passing these parameters as options to wget or curl is
easy though. Surf already passes cookies, but maybe adding the
referrer uri to the DOWNLOAD macro might be useful too. For privacy
reasons it's probably best to only pass the referrer if the target
download uri is from the same site.

---
Kind regards,
Hiltjo