Re: [dev] I'm back

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:25:01 +0100

On 17 November 2012 18:58, Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:58:22 +0100 Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I’m all for draw.{h,c}. Otherwise the complexity of dependency handling
> will need to be added to all of the packages using libdraw. There might
> be a tendency of differences in the implementation, but that’s easy to
> solve, if the draw.{h,c} stays simple. That’s simpler than having the
> hassle to download some more packages, install them at the right place
> and go on with building.

Yes, that's my preference as well.

>> (ii) Another aspect on the dwm roadmap is a reimplementation of the
>> current multi-screen handling. It still contains some weird bugs in
>> special setups with same screen sizes. Those don't seem to be easily
>> fixable with the current updategeom() handling.
>
> But please keep the same behaviour as dwm has now. Reducing this to this
> idea of only starting applications on one screen is not userfriendly and
> creates more hassle than the »weird bugs« create. Most of these bugs are
> just there because of weird applications using weird modes in weird cas‐
> es of weird bloated complexity. I’m rather for adapting the applications
> having the problems.

The changes I plan involves a different behaviour when screens are
added/removed/resized while dwm is running.

>> -> is there anyone who uses the mouse functionality of the dwm bar
>> right now? Could you live without it?
>
> No, I am the leader of the suckless touch project and removing this will
> require me to fork dwm, which only creates problems. The statusbar works
> as it is and we already discussed what bloat some interface for a sta‐
> tusbar would add.

What is the purpose of the suckless touch project? Who is using this?
Are you using onscreen keyboards to hack commands into your terminal?

> Some good nice touch features will be added here, when multitouch is
> common and usable in X11. Then the statusbar can serve as the path to
> suckless touching.

To me this touching stuff s not really the typical suckless focus group imho.

>> I barely use the mouse for the dwm bar and would be in favour for
>> removing the bar altogether from dwm. Instead I would output the
>> current dwm state to stdout which could be used by a different program
>> like sbar for input. But I wouldn't add an interface to dwm to change
>> the tags through X props or some other command interface (like stdin
>> processing) to allow other programs to amend the dwm tags. Good old
>> key commands would be enough for me.
>
> This is replacing a worker with a disabled person.

It would simplify dwm quite significantly.

That's just the kernel + bionic and some userland. No dalvik and the folks.

Best regards,
Anselm