[dev] Re: [suckless] Migration to git

From: Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:26:01 +0100

"Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:25:18AM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
>> Greetings comrades,
>>
>> I am proposing a migration of all mercurial to git repositories. Git is
>> mature and used by nearly all major OSS projects. Mercurial has this
>> slow prototyping dependency of Python, which is annoying and could be
>> removed that way. Of course git is still(?) adding a perl dependency. I
>> hope this can be removed from git.
>
> Perl dependency in git is present only in no basic commands. You can remove
> it and the core system will follow working.

More specifically, the parts that are perl scripts:

/usr/bin/git-cvsserver
/usr/lib/git-core/git-add--interactive
/usr/lib/git-core/git-archimport
/usr/lib/git-core/git-cvsexportcommit
/usr/lib/git-core/git-cvsimport
/usr/lib/git-core/git-cvsserver
/usr/lib/git-core/git-difftool
/usr/lib/git-core/git-instaweb
/usr/lib/git-core/git-relink
/usr/lib/git-core/git-send-email
/usr/lib/git-core/git-svn

Of these, "git-add--interactive" is the only one which has reasonable
use not related to legacy systems (and actually one of Git's best
features). (difftool, instaweb and relink are nice additions, but by no
means essential. send-email probably can be replaced by using straight
MTA injection.)

I think moving to Git is a good idea.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen_AT_gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org