Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:20:05 +0100

i use git in my phone and i dont even have perl in it. actually you
have cgit and git and libgit2, both implementations are in C and have
no extra dependencies of scripting languages (at runtime), maybe at build..

that's why i decided to get rid of mercurial. i had some problems
because of the crappy Python installation policies.. and without
noticing i realized i had 5 different versionf of python installed
in my laptop... that sucks hard, and if you sum pythonsize+mercurial
is bigger than just git which have no deps.

git is big indeed, but at least is not depending on a crappy
scripting language.

git is far more confusing than hg.. in fact sometimes i have to check
my notebook or manpages in order to do something in hg is plain easy.

this is my guide to move hg repos to github (not that garbage collecting
is important after the conversion, and i had some issues while converting
to local git repo instead of github... have to investigate a little...)

the following instructions depend on hggit module being installed and
enabled
in hgrc. fyi

export hg repo to github
========================
$ hg log | grep ^user |sort -u | sed -e 's, ,\t,g' |awk '{print
$2="pancake <pancake_AT_nopcode.org>"}' > map
$ vim map # remove user: and set=value
$ hg convert -A map . _new
$ cat map
pancake=pancake_AT_nopcode.org
$ cd _new
$ hg push git+ssh://git_AT_github.com/radare/acr
$ git clone git://github.com/radare/acr
$ git gc --aggressive
[ recreate remote repo]
$ git push --all