Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:48:09 +0100

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:25:18AM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> Greetings comrades,
>
> I am proposing a migration of all mercurial to git repositories. Git is
> mature and used by nearly all major OSS projects. Mercurial has this
> slow prototyping dependency of Python, which is annoying and could be
> removed that way. Of course git is still(?) adding a perl dependency. I
> hope this can be removed from git.

Perl dependency in git is present only in no basic commands. You can remove
it and the core system will follow working. Taken from a message from git
mailing list this morning:

        Currently even perl is used only for few very high level commands
        that are not really needed there. I think that python is ok for
        pieces that use perl now, but I think that it shouldn't be used for
        basic porcelain commands. I also don't think that we should prefer
        python over other languages and especially I don't think that some
        existing code should be rewritten to python.

        Even if python is really better, I think that the natural migration
        is much better.

> Dpb on IRC showed me [0], which seems to do a near to perfect import of
> the old hg history. Anyone had bad experiences with this?

I have experience with git and importing others vc to it, but I have never
done it with Mercurial.

> For the web interface on git.suckless.org I am proposing cgit, which is
> fast and written in C.

It's ok for me.