Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:15:43 +0100

Greetings.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:15:43 +0100 Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com> wrote:
> As Kurt asked earlier - what for? Because it sucks a bit less? I'm more
> git user myself, but hg is OK. Even if git sucks less, so what?

was the plan some time ago to migrate to git, when it gets better. Now
that time has come.

> I thought that people here value their time more. Changing tools as
> soon as something is becoming 'suckless' sucks. As stated before, maybe
> it would be better to pursue better hg implementations? People here are
> always interested with code, good code. Curing one disease with
> another is not really helpful.

Using git will save time – at least for me. That way all my active
projects will be git.

If you do the C reimplementation of mercurial, of course it could be
used. But in the meanwhile the migration to git can be done easily, so
it’s the viable alternative to the this prototype VCS Mercurial, which
is written in a prototyping language. The C reimplementation of mercuri‐
al will likely offer some easy migration path too.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann