Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:04:30 +0100

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:25:18 +0100
Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:

> Greetings comrades,
>
> I am proposing a migration of all mercurial to git repositories. Git
> is mature and used by nearly all major OSS projects. Mercurial
> has this slow prototyping dependency of Python, which is annoying
> and could be removed that way. Of course git is still(?) adding a
> perl dependency. I hope this can be removed from git.
>
> My proposal is to rename hg.suckless.org to git.suckless.org.
> There might be some other (better) versioning system in the future,
> which will need another domain. Only the hard reality of
> »Connection refused« forces a fast migration.
>
> Dpb on IRC showed me [0], which seems to do a near to perfect import
> of the old hg history. Anyone had bad experiences with this?
>
> For the web interface on git.suckless.org I am proposing cgit, which
> is fast and written in C.
>
> How are your thoughts, comrades?
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph Lohmann
>
> [0]
> https://raw.github.com/felipec/git/fc/remote/hg/contrib/remote-helpers/git-remote-hg

As Kurt asked earlier - what for? Because it sucks a bit less? I'm more
git user myself, but hg is OK. Even if git sucks less, so what?

I thought that people here value their time more. Changing tools as
soon as something is becoming 'suckless' sucks. As stated before, maybe
it would be better to pursue better hg implementations? People here are
always interested with code, good code. Curing one disease with
another is not really helpful.