Re: [dev] [st] New feature idea

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:58:39 +0100

Greetings.

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:58:39 +0100 Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 29 March 2013 14:31, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> >> […]
> >
> > While I find many of those features useless, some of them are plain
> > cool, and are innovative. Why are we stuck with a text terminal when
> > we aren't using a tty most of the time? Sure simple text modes should
> > always be supported but additional features are cool. I'd love to be
> > able do an easy ls and be able to see my picture previews, why not?
> > It' s not terribly complicated and it sure is useful.
>

> I also like the idea of not having a pure-text interaction with the
> computer, but Terminology is definitely pushing things too far. It's
> hard to have a good middle ground.
>
> Alternatively, you could set up plumber and have your terminal be as
> smart as acme: left-click on a .jpg/png/gif/whatever opens an image
> viewer. It separates the two concept (ls and preview) and is dead
> simple. Bonus points: because the two concepts are separate, you can
> have the plumbing rules independent of your terminal so you can set up
> different dispatching easily.

That’s what I do, too. For now this is a script run on Mod + o in dwm,
which does some regexp parsing on the string and calls sxiv and surf‐
open.sh accordingly.

It would be nice to have some project to gather interesting regexp
parsers and opener scripts that make the suckless life more efficient.

What are you guys using as a plumber in daily work?

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann