Re: [dev] [st] New feature idea

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:05:09 -0400

On 29 March 2013 14:54, Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29 March 2013 14:31, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
>>> […]
>>
>> While I find many of those features useless, some of them are plain
>> cool, and are innovative. Why are we stuck with a text terminal when
>> we aren't using a tty most of the time? Sure simple text modes should
>> always be supported but additional features are cool. I'd love to be
>> able do an easy ls and be able to see my picture previews, why not?
>> It' s not terribly complicated and it sure is useful.
>

> I also like the idea of not having a pure-text interaction with the
> computer, but Terminology is definitely pushing things too far. It's
> hard to have a good middle ground.
>
> Alternatively, you could set up plumber and have your terminal be as
> smart as acme: left-click on a .jpg/png/gif/whatever opens an image
> viewer. It separates the two concept (ls and preview) and is dead
> simple. Bonus points: because the two concepts are separate, you can
> have the plumbing rules independent of your terminal so you can set up
> different dispatching easily.

I'm actually really liking my idea I suggested earlier, having some
time to think about it.

It's an awesome idea in fact.

See opening images is not the same as having images on your buffer,
namely for the reason
of being able to look back in your buffer and see the images that have
been opened, plus it
makes piping things very easy and doing image searching in a much
easier fashion than using
GUI's

say I wanted all my photos in my collection from 2012, 3rd month, for
me this is now trivial, plus
I can easily scroll up and down my buffer to look at them.

preview `find 2012-03*.jpg` | less

Images are very useful for humans, but GUI's are not, I want an
amalgam of images and text
on my terminal

Calvin