Re: [dev][surf]Some questions about surf.

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:17:10 +0200

Greetings.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:17:10 +0200 Hugues Moretto-Viry <hugues.moretto_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> - I'm compiling webkitgtk (currently 1.11.92) myself because I just want to
> disable many crappy features (as geolocation for example), do you know if
> surf needs some features, for an optimal functioning?

No, surf has no dependencies. It’s just exposing the webkit widget and
adds its hotkeys around it. You add what you need.

> - Is there a way to define a default font as we do with dwm or tabbed?
> After looking the sources, I guess we can't for now.

Surf is using webkit GTK, which makes things ugly. You have to search
through the webkit‐gtk documentation if there is any way to define a de‐
fault font. Since nearly all websites define their own fonts it’s not
really needed, as every new page will look different and the default
font has no effect.

If you really need this, please search for that option and send the
patch to the mailinglist.

> - tabbed displays URL with "cISVM:--" before. For example:
> WM_NAME(COMPOUND_TEXT) = "cISVM:-- | Google"
>
> Could I disable this string before the URL (I'm using latest surf and
> tabbed revisions)?

This string is the status indicator and shows you that caret browsing is
off, Images are enabled, javaScript is enabled, plugins (V) are enabled
and that CSS should be loaded (M). The last two ‐ indicate that the page
is not encrypted and so nothing about its security can be said.

Check out the latest surf revision, I’ve added »showindicators«, which
can be set to FALSE and disables this features.

> - When I open a new tab, it starts an empty surf window, how can I start
> surf with my startpage (located to $HOME/startpage.html for example).
> I'm pretty sure we can do it with config.h, but I don't know how...

See [0]. You could start your basic tabbed instance with surf and an URI
behind it, but then every new tab will load that homepage.

erything for me.«

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

[0] http://surf.suckless.org/patches/homepage