Re: [dev] Re: Why HTTP is so bad?

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:31:01 +0100

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:46:58PM +0200, Fernando C.V. wrote:
> But then it would also compromise the openness and "hackability" of the web.
> I like that I can easily inject my own javascript or css on any
> website to make it do what I want, remove whatever advertising or any
> sections I don't want. To make it readable and adaptable to my
> environment. Or parse them myself and extract some data from it,
> include them in a script and process the text with UNIX tools.

Exactly. The web could very easily have gone in this direction, and
crap as it is, we should be very grateful that we have such a open
and hackable base. It's certainly in the interests of many
unpleasant organisations to force people to 'consume web content' in
the way proposed, such that it can't readily be scraped or changed,
but most definitely not in the interests of actual people.