Re: [dev] lisp

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:45:27 -0400

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Craig Brozefsky <craig_AT_red-bean.com> wrote:

> Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com> writes:
>
> > Lisps are loaded with this sort of stuff, and while I love it, and
> > enjoy using them thinking about them, reading about them, they just
> > aren't practical for mortals who are used to PHP.
>
> You keep confusing simple and easy.
>
> http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy
>
> Many other things which "aren't practical for mortals" such as
> logic/functional/declarative programming, immutable data structures,
> agents, STM, and async channels are very simple -- even if they are
> difficult to grasp and map into previous experiences.\

You're right, I am conflating the two terms. And you are right in that they
are often simple.

They are not only simple, they make radically simpler programs. Taken
> together, they also enable programs that would be outrageously complex,
> and error prone in "easy" languages.

Right. One of the goals of tin is to make it "easy" to utilize these
"simple" things--and maybe that even means hiding them away. We'll see.

--
http://apgwoz.com