Re: [dev] coreutils / moreutils - DC a directory counter

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:16:19 +0000

On 07/17/2013 06:13 PM, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> I rely heavily on unioned directories (go plan9!) so mine tend to get
> large when working with many large datasets.
>
> Does anyone use large directories often?
Unices avoid large directories to scalability problems like the one
you're trying to solve. Many programs and scripts are infrequently
tested on large directories, in part because they're rare.
Even the GNU coreutils test suite does not test against huge directories
unless explicitly allowed to use tens of thousands of inodes. Which is
at least once for every release candidate on every supported system.

[OT]
IIRC, an Ext4 explicitly does not care about ridiculously huge
directories because common functions and syscalls will get mildly
surprisingly slow anyway. But I haven't tested anything myself.

If you can make such an interface that performance problems can be
implemented under hood, that would be terrific. But a dedicated utility
for such a specific function that it's hardly going to be used in
scripts has no place in moreutils. It would be nice to keep around
somewhere, though. Package it with other file tree related utilities.