Re: [dev] [sbase] [patch v4] Add df(1)

From: sin <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:54:43 +0300

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:14:08PM +0100, Nick wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 01:51:01PM +0300, sin wrote:
> > Incorporated Steve's changes as well to make it compile/work
> > on OpenBSD. I realize #ifdef's are terrible but for now it should
> > do the trick until we come up with a proper solution to this.
>
> Is there really no sensible way to get the required information for
> most POSIXish systems? How does coreutils do it (I expect tons of
> way more awful ifdefs than you've done here, but it's worth
> checking)?

No idea, I have not looked at the coreutils code. Will check it out.

> I wonder what the right approach for utilities that can't be made
> portable should be? Are there any others that are likely to have
> these problems?

If the build system can switch between between say Linux ops and
OpenBSD ops then we could have something like os/openbsd.c and
os/linux.c (for things that are not portable between them).

Then the df.c code can just call a function that will be implemented
by both OSes (with the same signature etc.).

The number of tools that might require this glue code is less than
2% of the overall number of tools. So maybe leaving the #ifdef's for now
is enough until we encounter other situations as well?

Thanks,
sin