Re: [dev][dwm][patch] dwm toggleignore patch

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:36:03 +0100

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Markus Teich
<markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> Nikolay Vasylchyshyn wrote:
>>>
>>> Seems potentially very useful.
>>
>> I'm very glad to read this. : )
>

> I object. This "new" feature is already nearly there.
>
> If you have two active windows, in which you are working,
> just zoom them to the top of the client stack. Then you
> can easily switch between them with MODKEY+j and MODKEY+k.
>
> If you have three windows, in one third of the possibilities
> of switching from any of client 1, 2 or 3 to one of the
> remaining two clients you have to press one more key without
> your patch: MODKEY+j+j instead of MODKEY+k and the other
> way around. So during a prolonged work session you can save
> 1/3 * 1/3 = 1/9 of the keypresses with three actively used
> clients.

I end up spending quite some keypresses getting the right order for my
windows. Especially when I bring together several tags and end up with
difficult to predict interleaving of windows.

> The setup takes some key presses with your patch too and
> managing (remembering and getting the right key combinations
> into muscle memory) the additional state of every client
> in your brain also takes some more time.

Hence the idea of adding different colours. The state need not be
stored in your brain.

> So at least for my workflow (which is not that static) this
> patch is not useful.

Probably not to be included in the main branch anyway, but it'd still
make a good addition to the patch section of the wiki.

--
Raphaël Proust