Re: [dev][dwm][patch] dwm toggleignore patch

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:58:21 +0200

Am 2013-08-20 16:36, schrieb Raphaƫl Proust:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Markus Teich
> <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:

>>> I'm very glad to read this. : )
>>

>> I object. This "new" feature is already nearly there.
>>
>> If you have two active windows, in which you are working,
>> just zoom them to the top of the client stack. Then you
>> can easily switch between them with MODKEY+j and MODKEY+k.
>>
>> If you have three windows, in one third of the possibilities
>> of switching from any of client 1, 2 or 3 to one of the
>> remaining two clients you have to press one more key without
>> your patch: MODKEY+j+j instead of MODKEY+k and the other
>> way around. So during a prolonged work session you can save
>> 1/3 * 1/3 = 1/9 of the keypresses with three actively used
>> clients.
>
> I end up spending quite some keypresses getting the right order for my
> windows. Especially when I bring together several tags and end up with
> difficult to predict interleaving of windows.

If you use some clients (i assume you use them on top of the client
stack/list as i do), this happens automatically as you zoom needed
clients into the master area during work.

>> The setup takes some key presses with your patch too and
>> managing (remembering and getting the right key combinations
>> into muscle memory) the additional state of every client
>> in your brain also takes some more time.
>
> Hence the idea of adding different colours. The state need not be
> stored in your brain.

It still takes time getting used to this additional way of
achieving client selection.

Also i forgot to mention, that it seems unintuitive to me, that i have
to use the mouse to unignore a client, although the rest of dwm's
functions (appart from moving/resizing floatign windows) can be
accessed
just by the keyboard.

--Markus